8.27.2011

House hate and Sorting Hat errors

Come on... really!?
So you're one of the lucky few who doesn't have to sit by and watch others enter Pottermore, you're actully one of the chosen ones, you're in!
And then you start whining about what house you end up in?
I can understand small identity crises happening when you find out you aren't what you've always thought you was. But to delete your account or going all sour, refusing to help your house win the house cup, claiming the test isn't accurate - that your house is stupid?
 Just pause and breathe for a moment. Let's think about this.

J.K.Rowling created this world that we all love, she created the four houses and listed the qualities that they value in their students. If anyone knows where you belong, it's her. And if you always thought you were brave, that you should be in Gryffindor, being sorted into Slytherin doesn't make you any less brave, it makes you more then you thought you was.
Let's look at some examples.
Neville Longbottom. A lot of people (including himself) would place Neville in Hufflepuff. However, the Sorting Hat claimed he belonged in Gryffindor. It doesn't mean that Neville isn't loyal and openminded. It doesn't mean that he doesn't work hard. He is all of those things. But he is also braver than he (and probably a lot of us) thought he was.
Severus Snape. Snape got sorted into Slytherin. Does that mean that he can't be loyal like the Hufflepuffs? Or that he can't be brave like the Gryffindors? You've read the books, right? He is all of those things as well. He just had a lot of determination in him, and he was meant for greatness, so the Sorting Hat placed him in Slytherin.
Hermione Granger. Who didn't wonder why she wasn't placed in Ravenclaw? It's not cause she lacks the love of books, it's just that the brave part of her outshined her cleverness (which means she must be very brave, don't you agree?).
 Need I go on?

So if the Sorting Hat has placed you in another house than you expected, remember that you are not less, you are more.
Click image for source

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Hufflepuff seems to get the most hate which is really unnecessary, particularly when there are still people waiting for their Pottermore email.

People seem to perceive Hufflepuff as the house of "duffers" where people who are just nice and the leftovers go - when Hufflepuff's are actually fiercely loyal and protective of their friends, doing what they can in the name of justice -and those are brilliant traits!
I actually got Ravenclaw and I know I belong there especially after reading the welcome message. I hope your "not less, you are more" message gets heard.

SilverQuill77 said...

Yes, I get sad when I hear people bashing the Hufflepuffs. I never thought I was a Hufflepuff, but not because I thought I was "better" than that, it's because I didn't think I was good enough.
They have some of the most important qualities, like you said: loyal and protective, as well as hardworking and openminded. They are awesome, they just don't brag about it, which is another very fine quality.

I really don't get why they get treated so unfairly.

Anonymous said...

Love this post. I absolutely agree with you ^_^

Pertaining to the above comment, I love Hufflepuff. My two top choices for houses were Slytherin and Hufflepuff. They compliment each other more than people think XD

Great blog, hope you start writing again =)