8.20.2011

The fear of the Sorting Hat

So Evanna Lynch have entered Pottermore and gotten sorted. Her being sorted into Gryffindor led to somewhat of an identity crisis situation.


I don't blame her.
 Sure, whatever house I get sorted into, I will show proper house pride. After all, J.K. Rowling is the creator of the test and if she doesn't know where I belong, noone does. But getting sorted into a house that I have never been able to relate to? That would set my head spinning.
Hufflepuffs are just so good, all the way through. Happy and openminded and loyal and awesomely kind. True and hardworking. I don't think I'm like that. I try to be most of those things, but I'm just not.
Gryffindors are supposed to be brave and daring and I don't think any of my friends would lead with those adjectives when describing me. I like to shrink back into the shadows, not being seen. I'm not at the front, doing things, being brave.
And then there are the Slytherins. Maybe it's just the fact that most people see the Slytherins as bad, I don't know, but I've never seen myself in Slytherin. All that pure blood talk and using any means to achieve their end goal. That's not me, is it?

But I love books and reading, I value knowledge, I like to think that I am somewhat creative. I've always seen myself as a Ravenclaw, even if I first identified with Hermione (and still do, to some extent - I'm still not considered brave).

The sorting is the thing I most look forward to, but on the other hand it is also the thing I most dread. Because what if I'm... not. a Ravenclaw

Click image for source

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you think of it, Gryffindors actually have a bit of everything: they must be smart (Hermione), loyal to friends (Ron), brave (Harry)
But I'd be happy to be sorted at all actually :) As long as it isn't Slytherin!!! :)

SilverQuill77 said...

Well, they don't HAVE to be those things, they just CAN be. Just like Slytherins CAN be brave (Snape), Hufflepuffs CAN be determined (Cedric) and Ravenclaws CAN be trustworthy and openminded (Luna).

I think we all have parts of every house in us, it's just a question of which part of us is the most prominent.